- For her Earth-1 counterpart, see Alex Danvers.
- For her Earth-92 counterpart, see Alex Danvers (Earth-92).
Director of the D.E.O.
Bio-engineer at the D.E.O.
Doctor at the D.E.O.
Member of Superfriends
(in secret; formerly)
Director of the D.E.O.
Member of Superfriends
(in secret; formerly)
(maternal grandmother; deceased)
Director Alexandra "Alex" Danvers is a female Human who is a bio-engineer and former director of the D.E.O.. She is daughter of Jeremiah Danvers and Eliza Danvers, the adoptive sister of Kara Danvers, the ex-fiancée of Maggie Sawyer, and the fiancée of Kelly Olsen.
She is also close friends with J'onn J'onzz and a good friend of James Olsen, Lena Luthor, Samantha Arias, Nia Nal, Winn Schott and Querl Dox/Brainiac-5.
Kara was adopted by the Danvers at Clark Kent's behest when Alex was a teenager. After a rough start, Alex became her new sister's steadfast guardian and ally. In adulthood, she was recruited by "Hank Henshaw" to join the D.E.O. to combat extraterrestrial threats, eventually rising to become his right-hand agent. When Kara became Supergirl, Alex helped train her at the D.E.O. and aided her sister's fight against the fugitive aliens from Fort Rozz, led by Astra. She soon grew suspicious of "Henshaw" upon learning of her father's unwilling affiliation with the D.E.O. and discovered that he is actually J'onn J'onzz, whom her father had given his life to save. Alex was forced to go on the run with J'onn after his Green Martian nature was revealed and they decided to investigate Project Cadmus after realizing Jeremiah was still alive. However, they returned to National City to help stop Myriad, consequently receiving a pardon.
Alex came out as a lesbian after falling in love with Maggie Sawyer. During this time, the D.E.O. came into conflict with Cadmus and Lillian Luthor, during which Alex was forced to stop her father when he was coerced into joining Cadmus. Upon thwarting the Daxamite invasion, she proposed to Maggie, but they broke up over whether or not to have children. Alex began seriously contemplating motherhood as she developed a friendship with Samantha and Ruby Arias. When J'onn decided to leave the D.E.O. after the war with the Worldkillers, Alex was appointed the new director.
Alex led the D.E.O. against new threats in National City, like the Children of Liberty and the Elite. In order to protect her sister from Lauren Haley, J'onn wiped Alex's memory of Kara being Supergirl. However, she regained her memories while saving Kara after a battle with Red Daughter. Following the Children of Liberty and Lex Luthor's downfall, Alex began dating Kelly Olsen.
Alex was killed during the Anti-Monitor Crisis but brought back when the Spectre recreated the multiverse. On Earth-Prime, while facing Leviathan, she left the D.E.O. due to not agreeing with Lex, its new owner's, actions. When her father was killed, Alex retreated into Obsidian Platinum and adopted the identity of Supergirl until breaking free with Kelly's help. She decided to become a vigilante, donning a new suit and was eventually codenamed Sentinel.
Alex is a courageous and independent person, who faces danger head on. She is caring, confident, and headstrong, with the same passion for bio-engineering like her parents. Alex had dedicated her life to protecting her sister, Kara, and rarely found time for herself since teenhood.
Despite her good traits, sometimes Alex can be impulsive and prone to make difficult decisions crossing the line between right and wrong (some might even classify her as morally grey); such as when she stabbed Astra in the back, or when she assaulted a Cadmus facility on her own by placing mines in the structure to blackmail Lillian Luthor, even if on those occasions it was to save first J'onn J'onzz's and then her father's life.
However, she has a great sense of justice, since when J'onn took the blame for Astra's death, as he did want not Alex to lose her relationship with her adopted sister, knowing it was wrong, she eventually confessed to Kara her role in Astra's death despite her fear to lose her.
After much soul searching and exploration, Alex finds the courage to come out as a lesbian to herself, then to her ex-girlfriend Maggie Sawyer, then Kara, her mother Eliza, her friends and her father Jeremiah. Alex's interactions with Maggie show a more flustered, awkward and almost goofy side of her personality, similar to that of Kara.
Above all, Alex is a strong woman, she fights for what she believes in and has a difficult time giving up. When she was kidnapped by her childhood friend, Rick Malverne, she never stopped trying to escape and was able to use her D.E.O. training to help her survive. She has been referenced as being a "bad-ass" by many people.
After losing Maggie, Alex became devastated unable to cope with it and started drinking heavily. She is also fond of leather jackets.
Alex loves her sister and asks J'onn to erase her memories of Kara's identity as Supergirl.Alex later retrieves her memories when Supergirl saves her and fights Red Daughter.
After known memories of Kara's identity as Supergirl was erased by J'onn J'onzz, her views on alien completely changed; for example, she was about to kill an innocent alien who was attacking Bobbi Miller (as he believed her to be a member of the Children of Liberty) as he was only defending his home, which forces Kara to use her heat vision to disarm Alex of her weapon. Later, even without her memories, Alex teams up with Supergirl; when a false Supergirl attacks the White House.
- Peak of human physical condition: As a top agent of the D.E.O., Alex is in top physical condition, with heightened reflexes, strength, and durability. She regularly engages in intense exercises to maintain her conditioning. Alex is strong enough to break Rick Malverne's nose with a single punch. Alex was even capable of swiftly subduing Brainy and knocking him out with a single punch.
- Acrobatics/Free-running: Alex is very agile and nimble, able to fall from multiple feet without injuring herself.
- Expert hand-to-hand combatant/Martial artist: As an agent of the D.E.O., Alex is a highly skilled hand-to-hand combatant and martial artist. As required by the organization, she went through an entire year in training before being let out into the field, which included spending 12 hours a day for five months in the D.E.O.'s training room. Alex has proved to be capable of defeating multiple alien enemies at once with ease. She was able to fight on par against notorious assassin John Corben and was skilled enough to battle him to a stalemate. Alex was also able to easily defeat multiple Earth-X Nazis and together with Sara Lance, overpower Earth-X Tommy Merlyn. Alex could stand up to Mercy Graves for a while before being pushed back. She was later able to hold her own against and eventually overpower Manchester Black, and managed to fight Ben Lockwood on equal grounds even after the latter was mutated by the Harun-El.
- Skilled knife wielder: Alex is capable of fighting with knives, as seen when battling Nazis during the Earth-X invasion.
- Expert markswoman/Phasers: Due to her D.E.O. training, Alex is highly trained in using phasers.
- Expert swordswoman: Alex was able to fend off various rogue Kryptonians with a sword made of Green Kryptonite. During her fight with Earth-X Tommy, Alex managed to disarm him of one of his katanas and use it against him.
- Expert stick-fighter: Alex is an accomplished stick-fighter, able to take down multiple Cadmus agents with a pool hue.
- Genius-level intellect/Expert tactician/Leader: Alex has a very sharp intellect. She pursued an MD/PhD at an accelerated speed and finished the PhD portion by 2378 at the age of 23. Additionally, Alex is a highly-trained tactician and an extraordinary leader, capable of managing and organizing a handful of D.E.O. agents by herself. She is also the second-in-command of the D.E.O. and was the acting director of the organization when J'onn J'onzz was captured by Non and Astra and when J'onn was incapacitated during the Daxamite invasion. J'onn even entrusted Alex with leading the D.E.O. once he retired for good.
- Expert physician: Alex has performed medical procedures on both humans and aliens; she patched James Olsen up after he was knocked out by a super soldier with Livewire's abilities and examined a comatose M'gann M'orzz, who suffered a psychic attack, and figured out that a Martian mind meld with J'onn would be the only way to save her. Alex also performed an MRI on Samantha Arias when studying her blackouts and helped save Lena Luthor when the latter was poisoned. She and Lena later worked to treat Sam's failing health following her separation from Reign.
- Expert interrogator/Torturer: Due to her time with the D.E.O., Alex is an effective interrogator and torturer. She once claimed to know six ways to torture someone with just an index finger. Her knowledge of interrogation techniques is so advanced that when she was interrogated with a polygraph, Alex managed to fake the results.
- Explosives expert: Alex demonstrated expertise with bombs, as seen when she rigged an entire Cadmus facility with Haldorr particle mines, linking some of them to a dead man's switch.
- Expert driver/Pilot: Alex is a very capable pilot, being able to drive both common vehicles and spaceships.
- Master scientist: Alex displayed an aptitude towards science since early childhood, as demonstrated by her interest in science fairs as a child. Having a PhD in bioengineering, Alex is also an expert in alien physiology and has used this knowledge in multiple D.E.O. operations, such in the mission to capture the Hellgrammite; she figured out that the Hellgrammite embodied chlorine-based DNA and thus was raiding multiple chemical plants to gather their stockpiles of DDT for use as food. Alex was able to successfully create Blue Kryptonite to incapacitate Bizarro and working with Maxwell Lord, synthesized a cure for Red Kryptonite. She is also an accomplished neuroscientist and xenobiologist. Alex herself stated she could've had a promising medical career as a researcher had she not decided to work at the D.E.O. instead.
- Indomitable will/High tolerance for pain: Alex is has shown she is capable of tolerating a high amount of pain; while captured by Malverne, she snapped her credit card in half and used its broken edge to cut deeply into her skin on her shoulder to remove her subdermal tracking chip with barely any reaction. With help from her mother, Eliza Danvers, Alex was able to overcome Indigo's brainwashing. She even battled an army of Earth-X Nazis in spite of being slightly hungover.
- Intimidation: Alex was able to intimidate Winn Schott to the point that he revealed that James Olsen is Guardian. However, when she attempted to intimidate Julia Freeman (who's alter-ego, Purity was in control at the time) by threatening her with months of incarceration, in order to get her to reveal who the other world-killers are; unfortunately, this completely backfired, as Julia was completely unfazed by these threats of hers. However, after Alex's memories of Kara's identity as Supergirl was erased by J'onn J'onzz, she no longer has the ability to intimidate any individual; even someone like Spencer, who has no form of training to resist interrogation. It is likely that she regained this ability after getting her memories back.
- Protective suit: Winn made Alex a protective suit for the battle against the Worldkillers. The suit is fitted with magnets so that Alex is able to force her gun back to her. Since leaving the D.E.O. Alex has lost the use of this equipment being D.E.O. property.
- Kryptonite-powered exosuit: Alex used a special cybernetic exosuit powered via Kryptonite, which she got from Non while under Myriad's mind control, to allow her to fight superhumanly stronger opponents such as Kara Danvers or Metallo by physically enhancing her. Also, the suit's forearm was fitted with a Kryptonite-powered energy gun and it could generate green, concussive shockwaves to physically repel and incapacitate opponents, especially Kryptonians. Since leaving the D.E.O. Alex has lost the use of this equipment being D.E.O. property.
- Taser batons: Alex uses a pair of batons with an electric charge powerful enough to incapacitate super-powered humans. Since leaving the D.E.O. Alex has lost the use of this equipment being D.E.O. property.
- Kryptonite electric field: With her new suit that Winn made her has included some new features such as a kryptonite blaster on her glove of her suit that generates a Kryptonite energy field.
- Magnets: Also built into the suit are magnetics which can be used for offensive and defensive ta such as pulling her phaser towards her if disarmed. She has also used the magnets in the suit to make a magnetic shield to defend herself or to contain explosives.
- Maaldorian laser pistol: During a rescue mission on Maaldoria, Alex acquired an alien pistol from a fallen alien. The pistol itself is shown to be very powerful as it sends any target it hits over a distance and it has even proven strong enough to take down a White Martian, albeit weakened from J'onn and M'gann. Following the constant attacks by the Worldkillers, Winn has upgraded the gun to use not only laser bullets, but also Kryptonite bullets when fighting the Kryptonian witches.
- Kryptonite bullets: While fighting the Worldkillers, Alex alien pistol was modified to shoot Kryptonite bullets when loaded.
- Electric bullets: While fighting against some mind-controlled aliens, Alex used electric bullets to restart Supergirl's protective suit.
- Electric net ammunition: Generates an electrical net capable of briefly restraining three Kryptonians, It works until the net is blasted by heat vision.
- Hand of the soldier: Alex received a Martian watch from J'onn which is capable of transforming into any weapon she wants to use eg. Guns, brass knucles, knifes.
- Protective suit: Winn made Alex a protective suit for the battle against the Worldkillers. The suit is fitted with magnets so that Alex is able to force her gun back to her. Since leaving the D.E.O. Alex has lost the use of this equipment being D.E.O. property and has started wearing a black and blue suit that was manifested by the Hand of the soldier for her time as a vigilante.